Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Votes and Books

Allors. There's an ego-balm website called BlogInterviewer.com that apparently interviews any ol' blogger. Which explains why I was dropped a line and subsequently got to fill in my first interview.
And so, this gives you, all three of my readers, the chance to vote for me on said site.
Here's a pretty button to help you further. Click on it, it'll take you to the voting site. Blue button there which says 'Vote'.
This is where the link goes, if you're not into buttons. Click tiny blue 'Vote' button, yes? Even if you don't really want to. I mean, it's only a few seconds.


In other news, I have finished reading The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, which was very nice, particularly in that I learnt some useful, daily-use German cuss words. No, no, it was really good. Left me teary-eyed at the end even, and when Death is the narrator, the read can only be interesting. I recommend.
Then my sister had left over her Flights of Love, by Bernhard Schlink (author of The Reader). It's a collection of stories set in Germany around the 'Wall' era. May I just say one thing: YUCK. What a bloody waste of my time. Nothing appealing about either of the stories I have read so far, and this is one of those rare books I will not complete. I'll say it again: YUCK. Stay away.
Finished reading 'Cujo' just a couple of days ago. One of the few Stephen King novels I hadn't yet read. Whatte! Forget your soppy 'Beethoven' movies, this book takes a gigantic Saint Bernard, gives him rabies and then watches the mayhem that follows in a small town in Maine. (Where else?) As always, there's the ever-present psychological horror, a running commentary of the madness that we all have inside our heads. There's also an adorable toddler thrown into the thick of things for gripping the reader like anything. I love Stephen King. I love his writing. I love his weirdness. (Just you see his hair style.) I am terrified of how he takes the everyday and turns it into your worst fear come true. *applause*. Anyway, do read.
Now am on to Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the follow up to 'Three Cups of Tea' by Greg Mortenson. Let's hope this is better than the first. Interesting as they both have to be, a book must be well written, which the first wasn't.

Okay. Got to run now. That's all.

3 comments:

Acilius said...

Since your blog is so consistently interesting, I wasn't surprised that the interview was also well worth reading. Keep up the good work!

longblackveil said...

@Acilius: Domo arigato. :) Your blog is way too interesting and intelligent for me to comment on. But I shall be visiting and leaving evidences of same.

Acilius said...

@Sabbah Haji: Thank you very much for those high words of praise! In all seriousness, it would be a privilege if you were to comment on our blog.